Monday, September 22, 2008

First Post

Tuberculosis and cancer are not the great diseases. I think a much greater disease is to be unwanted, unloved. The pain that these people suffer is very difficult to understand, to penetrate. I think this is what our people all over the world are going through, in every family, in every home.

This suffering is being repeated in every man, woman, and child. I think Christ is undergoing his passion again. And it is for you and for me to help them--to be Veronica [who wiped Christ's sweat with her veil as he carried the cross], to be Simon [of Cyrene] to them.

Our people are great people, a very lovable people. They don't need our pity and sympathy. They need our understanding love and they need our respect. We need to tell the poor that they are somebody to us, that they, too, have been created, by the same loving hand of God, to love and be loved.

~Mother Teresa
as quoted in Come Be My Light
(footnote brackets added)

No comments: